Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Family Room Entryway

Since our family room used to be the garage, we have lost our outdoor entrance to our laundry/mudroom.  I have been struggling with the entryway for 4 years now, and finally, I have a solution I like (my only other wish would be tile or hardwood floor...what was I thinking with carpet?!). 
The boys are always putting their shoes on last minute, as we walk out the door, so a bench made sense.  My grandpa made this bench years ago and I claimed it from my mom.  It was originally a cheap oak, but in my wisdom I painted it.  First white, then bronze, then white again...well off-white.  I attempted to antique it, but it just looked awful.  See?

I just happened to have some black spray paint, so I decided to change the color yet again.  I covered this old couch pillow I had with zebra fabric to add to it.
It looks better already!  Now for the walls.  My boys also have this bad habit of throwing jackets and backpacks on the floor as soon as they enter the house, so I knew I needed a coat hook of some kind.  I had these old barn wood frames that my dad had made that I absolutely love, but didn't know what to do with them.  I placed hooks on one and used some extra zebra fabric to jazz up the other.
Now I love my newly redone entryway.  It makes me smile :).

Notice the wicker basket with balls...again, those boys...

Linking up to :

Tip Junkie handmade projects


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful entryway, Carrie! I particularly like the zebra fabric in the old wood frame. Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete